Friday, March 24
THIS WEEK’S LESSON
How do you know when it’s time to take a break from something?
When a break is called for, try this kid-friendly mindfulness meditation by Dr. Amy Saltzman, author of A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions. She the acronym PEACE to put mindfulness to use — an acronym that stands for pause, exhale, acknowledge, choose, and engage.
- Pause: Take a moment to stop what you’re doing, particularly if you feel frazzled.
- Exhale: Breath in, and then take a long outbreath.
- Acknowledge: Practice mindfulness. Note what is inside of you, just as you note what you see in nature out there.
- Choose: Choose a way forward that doesn’t hurt yourself or others.
- Engage: Act in accordance with your higher self or spiritual compass.
Try the PEACE meditation with a situation that you find challenging right now.