Monday, May 22
THIS WEEK’S LESSON
Do you notice yourself worrying about anything a lot lately?
It’s totally normal to feel worried sometimes.
Let’s explore some steps you can take to get through it.
- Name your emotion. Think, “I feel terrible” or “I feel overwhelmed” or “I feel a pinch in my stomach” or whatever else comes to mind.
- Notice the thoughts running through your head. Are they thoughts from your best self, or are they exaggerated thoughts of worry that don’t feel like they’re coming from your best self?
- Have a list handy of things that have helped you in the past, and then see if anything on your list might help you in this moment.
Your list might include:
- Breathe out slowly
- Be with a pet
- Talk to a friend
- Hit a pillow
- Drink a glass of water
- Sing a comforting song
- Draw something wild
- Write down your feelings
- Run as fast as you can
- Count to 10
- Ask your mom or dad for a hug
- Walk in the grass barefoot
- Take a nap
- Go to a place where you feel the safest
- Ask to be alone for a while
Write your list down and revisit it when you feel overwhelmed. It can help you remember what helps.
As you pay attention to your emotions, thoughts, and what helps you feel calm inside, you will get better at knowing what helps you. If you happen to have crippling anxiety, you might also seek help from a professional therapist, and that is okay and normal too.